Malta Residence and Visa Programme
In 2015, the Government of Malta launched their Malta Residence and Visa Programme (MRVP), a permanent residency programme which allows the main applicant and their dependents to reside, settle or indefinitely stay in Malta whilst also giving them the right to travel freely within the Schengen Sone without having to apply for any additional visas.
The requirements for the main beneficiary of the MRVP include:
- Being aged 18 years old or more;
- Holding a comprehensive EU insurance policy;
- Having a clean criminal record and passing the required due diligence requirements;
- Committing to invest €250,000 in for a minimum period of five (5) years from the date the certificate is issued;
- Commit to one of the following:
- Purchasing a property with a minimum value of €270,000 in Gozo or the South of Malta or €320,000 in the rest of Malta.
- Renting a property with a minimum annual rent of not less than €10,000 in Gozo or the South of Malta or €12,000 per year in the rest of Malta
- Pay a one-off contribution of €30,000
- Have a personal, annual income of at least €100,000 from outside Malta, or at least €500,000 in capital – not including the above required investments.
Dependants which may also benefit from the programme, may include:
- Civil partner or spouse;
- Minor children of the Main applicant;
- Minor children of the Spouse or Civil Partner;
- Unmarried Adult Children of the Main Applicant or Spouse;
- Parents of the Main Applicant;
- Parents of the Spouse or Civil Partner.
After the death of the main beneficiary, the certificate can be inherited by the deceased dependents, subject to satisfying checks by Identity Malta.
Applications for the MRVP are subject to a non-refundable initial contribution €5,500. This fee covers the processing of the application for the main applicant, spouse or civil partner and minor dependants. Should adult dependants be part of the application, an additional one-time fee of €5,000 must be paid to the authorities.