In view of its strategic geographical position and history of occupation by different colonisers over thousands of years, Malta enjoys a maritime tradition which is unique in the region.
The Maltese ship register is today one of the largest in the world. It is on the White List and Low-Risk Ship List of the Paris MOU and is considered as a reputable flag of choice and quality for registration of sea-going vessels (including cruise ships, cargo vessels, commercial and pleasure yachts and oil rigs) bareboat charters and mortgages.
The ship registration practice at Fenech Farrugia Fiott Legal assists ship owners, managers and financiers with their ship registration (under both ownership and bareboat charter provisions), ship financing and mortgage registration requirements.
We provide a twenty-four hour, seven days a week service and assist our clients with any technical support they may require from local surveyors.
RANGE OF SERVICES PROVIDED BY THE PRACTICE INCLUDES
- Ship Registration under the Maltese flag;
- Yacht Registration, for pleasure or commercial yachts;
- Bareboat Charter Registration;
- Ship Financing;
- Mortgage Registration and discharge of mortgages;
- Advising on various forms of security over vessels, such as pledging of shares in shipping companies;
- Advice on the licencing of Private Maritime Security Companies;
- Ship/Yacht Charter and Leasing;
- Ship/Yacht Sales and Purchases;
- Tax Advice related to shipping activities;
- Advice on Malta’s Yacht Leasing Scheme and the beneficial VAT treatment on the purchase of a yacht for private use;
- Assistance in Marine Litigation including the arrest of vessels, cargo claims, collision and pollution claims, enforcement of mortgages and judicial sales by auction.